Friday 16 June 2017

PM Lee proposed reading out in Parliament Mr Lee's letter to Cabinet as well as the Demolition Clause in his will.


Far from making any threats or opposing making Mr Lee’s wishes public, I also proposed reading out in Parliament Mr Lee’s letter to Cabinet of 27 December 2011, as well as the Demolition Clause.

LHY (Lee Hsien Yang) and LSF (Lee Suet Fern) strenuously objected.

They argued that I could not read out Mr Lee’s letter, because (they claimed) of the Official Secrets Act. 

When I held firm, they told me that I could only read the first half of the Demolition Clause, i.e. excluding that part about what Mr Lee wanted done to the House if it is not demolished.

I made clear that I intended to make public both Mr Lee’s letter of 27 December 2011 and the entire Demolition Clause, which I did when I spoke in Parliament on 13 April 2015.

I also told Parliament that the Government would only consider the question of what to do with the House as and when LWL ceased to live in it.

- Excerpt of PM Lee's statutory declaration.

No comments:

Post a Comment