Sunday 25 June 2017

Lee Hsien Loong to his father Lee Kuan Yew: I will follow you.


A proud father congratulating his son in 2004 when Lee Hsien Loong became Prime Minister.

Lee Kuan Yew in Hard Truths:
I used to make sure once a year at least, sometimes twice a year, to take the whole family to Cameron Highlands or Fraser's Hill for two weeks and play golf. My children would walk around the golf course with my wife and me. We talked to them. Because of my political activities,... I asked, "Do you want to follow me?" My elder son said, "I'll follow you."

So when I went out on my 'fang wen' (constituency visits) in '63, he followed me most of the time. He was old enough to remember the July 1964 riots (he would have been 12 years old, and in Catholic High School). I remember a car was sent out to bring him home (because the riots broke out) but couldn't contact him because it was such a confused and chaotic situation. He walked home alone.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment