Friday 24 July 2020

*A citizen’s reflections on the General Election* : GE2020



*A citizen’s reflections on the General Election*
Liu Li
In the sixties, I stayed near to the Ministry of Education and witnessed students staging strikes in front of the Ministry. They boycotted classes and examinations, and sang songs relating to the students’ movement.
I studied in a Chinese-medium school. These happenings have imperceptibly shaped how I viewed the Government - I have never liked the Government.
After I graduated from school, I joined the Housing & Development Board and looked after the well-being of residents, ensuring that they had a good living environment.
This has always been the goal that I had wanted to achieve in communal living - to serve the people. I have devoted my entire life serving the nation.
I understand how the Government is committed to looking after the needs of HDB residents. But it is also challenging to manage the estates and provide service within the same outfit.
I am no longer unhappy with the Government. Instead, I have learnt to be more understanding and supportive of the Government.
Once we understand from the Government’s viewpoint, we tend to be less cynical when incidents like the MRT breakdown happens.
With a change in attitude, I could better empathise with fellow colleagues in other government divisions when they made blunders and would rather they resolve the issue as soon as possible. We are a nation, and essentially a family. We should treat one other like our family members.
If we were to have a bad government and there was no way to make a living, Singaporeans would naturally want to change the Government.
I am nearing 70 years old. All my life, I have worked hard and saved as I worked. As a result, I did not have to worry when I retired since I have never thought of becoming rich. I am happy leading my life if the country is stable and peaceful.
But everyone has different circumstances. A few of my friends, same age as me, did not do well because of some of the Government’s policies. Hence, they do not understand why I support the Government.
Some people have asked for the Group Representation Constituency System (GRC) to be scrapped and allow for candidates from both the ruling party and the opposition party to face off and show their capabilities.
I am of the view that the GRC system that ensures ethnic minority representation in Parliament should stay because we are a pluralistic society.
In my opinion, the PAP Government is doing its best to serve our people and to govern the country. Our Prime Minister (PM) and several ministers have worked hard.
They have aged considerably and looked visibly thinner. A few of them had choked with emotion when they recounted incidents that tugged at their heartstrings.
Singaporeans are indeed blessed. We have a government that looks after its people, and an opposition that fights for the interest of people. Everyone is working towards the good of Singapore.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment