Thursday 21 September 2017

Tharman on PAP, Honest Politics and an independent mnedia

ON PAP, HONEST POLITICS AND AN INDEPENDENT MEDIA





Mr Tharman said that Singapore is vastly different today from what it used to be. 

"I grew up in the 60s, I was politically very conscious and aware, and in the 70s, I was active in my own way, and I joined the ruling party in 2001 – I would say Singapore has really changed."

Singapore today, said Mr Tharman, is a "vastly more open and liberal place compared to what it used to be, believe me. I was an activist. Vastly more liberal and vastly more open. And the sense of fear, the sense of constraints is far less now. Yes you get pushbacks. Sometimes you may not like it. It doesn't mean I agree with every tactic by every one of my colleagues."

But if there is something that defines the PAP, Mr Tharman said it is its insistence on character, honesty and being true to Singaporeans.

This trait of the PAP shows up almost all the time, said Mr Tharman.

"And sometimes the PAP falls short, and action is to be taken on individuals. So just bear in mind that that was one of the colours of the PAP, that emphasis on character, and it shows up in a variety of ways.


But it is a vastly more open society than it used to be. Vastly more open politically, and people don’t have to be frightened.


Every political party and political campaigns have a range of tactics, said Mr Tharman.

Mr Tharman also expressed great faith in Singaporeans and their ability to judge. They don't take what they read lightly.

"And Singaporeans have the social media as well. People talk more openly, they exchange views more openly and they make judgement. And that, at the end of the day, is the test of how we’re progressing."

No comments:

Post a Comment