Wednesday 6 January 2016

David Marshall: PAP Government deserves the highest praise

In 1984, the National Archives of Singapore conducted an in-depth oral history interview with David Marshall, Singapore's first elected Chief Minister (1955).

On his own limitations and what the PAP has achieved, he said:

"I don't think I had leadership qualities.. for me a leader is a great administrator, organizer... I've been a vivid personality. But that doesn't mean I have leadership quality. I had the fire of anger, the excitement of great ideas, emotional approach almost uninhibited, but not the intellectual organizational approach of great leaders. That I didn't have, and don't... frankly, I don't think I would have been equal to the ramifications of running the country. Watching now from outside, the activities of the [Singapore government], all in all they deserve the highest praise: with no background, no real aid from outside to guide their infant steps, to have achieved so much stability, international respect and economic growth."

Note:

David Marshall resigned from the Legislative Assembly and from the Labour Front in April 1957. He founded the Workers' Party on 7 November 1957 and won the Anson by-election on 15 July 1961. Played out by his own party members, Marshall resigned from the Workers' Party on 19 January 1963. The disappointed Marshall withdrew from politics after losing the September 1963 election where he stood as an independent in the Anson ward. He later even refused J. B. Jeyaretnam's request in 1968 to rejoin the Workers' Party.

http://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline/article/david-marshall-first-chief-minister

No comments:

Post a Comment