Friday 8 April 2016

WP MP Faisal Manap - Why no Malay in Navy.

Razak Ali
 
I being seeing this topic appeaing….appearing….appearing….

WP MP Faisal Manap - Why No Malay in Navy.

I feel many have over reacted regardless whether which position or group they are at.
Being an ex-military personnel serving two decade of service in a classified unit perhaps i share my story.

Majority of Malays who enters SAF are majority are NSF means they will only serve about 1 year plus which means the rest of the time they will be serving in their basic and skills courses. While the SAF regulars (signed on) have a bigger pool of Chinese and Indian coming in.

Also most Malays cepat patah hati.

I have about 5 Malay friends together with me who applied to be regulars. We went to CMPB which was in Tanglin. Since we got nothing to do after studies.

“Bros, si A je dapat kita tak dapat. Apa kata kita apply sekali lagi nak tak?”
B said “ Jangan buang masa lah kita Melayu. Dia orang taknak tengok kita lah X”
C adds “ Sudahlah dari aku buang masa nak jadi askar lebih baik aku kerja pat PSA je. Kerja relak takyah nak fikir2 nak ippt lah soc lah range lah. Buang2 masa jugak seh bro”
D said “ Ini takdir Tuhan. Kita Cuma merancang”
Then few minutes later, A joined us. “Eh bros, sorry lah aku rasa aku taknak lah join SAF. Dia cakap aku kena post overseas for satu ke dua tahun ah. Takmo ah. Nanti GF aku lari camne?”

We all laughed at one another.

Then came enlistment, I was posted somewhere in the east while the rest of them served in various units.

I am so determine that I need to be a regular as I want to be in the uniform group.

I approached my OC. “Sir, I want to sign on.” His reply “If you have to die for Singapore will you die?” My answered “YES SIR!” He wrote me a 2 page testimonial after knowing me for 1 year, He then told me. Approached your manpower officer with that and tell him it’s from me. Days later I got news that I was granted being a regular. Soon later everything crumbled. My dad passed away due to heart failure. The only mean to survive was to be a regular and not to cock it up.

I then met with the rest of my friends who we applied as a regular together. They seem to be more interested in girls, motorbikes & trends. I asked “Eh kau orang tak nak jadi regular ke?” Their reply is almost the same. “Bro, malas ah”

They would rather not push for it instead they just biarkan pada takdir.

I was holding various appointments and was in various camps.

One shocking discovery I was undergoing underwater demolition course. My course warrant has the same name as my grandfather. He was a Malay and very garang. No nonsense man. NDU cookhouse was halal when I had training. I always look forward for Thursday lunch as the chefs who are navy warrants will cook nasi briyani. Graduated from the course and back to my unit.

I met up with my friends. Again I asked if they are still keen to join the SAF as I am willing to help them. They used to have this referral scheme where you can get someone be a regular you get $100. ($100 those days are A LOT OF MONEY)

Their answers were the same and they are not focus. So just trying their luck and their attitude is dapat2 kalau tak dapat2 it’s ok.

Then came we were tasked to a Middle East country. A familiar handsome Malay pilot who was a child actor was piloting the kc plane. We spend days chatting and even cooking for one another during our tour of duty.

In my 2 decade of service I have seen many Malays who are inside the forces. I can safely say this Malays who are there not because they are Malays because they earn to be where they are.
It’s a progress based on individual, that many have asked and the government is giving but based on what?

Should we give Malays just because Malays wants or should we give the Malay based on merits he deserve.

By the way, one thing WP MP is wrong. There are Malays in the navy just that there are there deployed in other appointments and job scope.

Also I emphasis and share this short story of mine not belittling anyone just to also share some weakness in the community.

Melayu suka patah hati. We must stop this mindset and go beyond our limits.

Salam Jumaat

No comments:

Post a Comment